Church Cottage is a pretty, Grade II listed, thatched cottage nestled on the outskirts of the small village of Catfield just across the road from the village church.
Full of quirky charm and individuality, this cottage is a haven to return to after a long day of activity exploring the area, or relax here and enjoy the peaceful countryside surroundings. You’re in the heart of the Norfolk Broads or a short drive from beautiful beaches. The village has a great dog friendly pub, The Crown, and a village shop for those essentials.
- sleeps 6 in four upstairs bedrooms
- lounge with coal burning stove
- separate dining room with baby grand piano
- downstairs bathroom with corner bath and shower
- two dogs welcome
Church Cottage can be found on a corner plot overlooking the beautiful village church in Catfield. Birdwatchers, cyclists and walkers will find this just the perfect spot from which to indulge in their favourite activity. The coast is a just short drive away, to the beautiful sandy beaches of Sea Palling or Winterton-on-Sea, as are several nature reserves.
Enter the tiled hall way from the driveway and back garden, where you’ll find plenty of room for coats and shoes. The utility leads off this with a toilet as well as the washing facilities. Really useful for a quick pit stop without needing to walk through the house!
From here enter the kitchen, full of charm, with a pine dresser, table and chairs and all the necessary appliances to make your stay as easy as possible. A steep staircase, with a low-level doorway leads from here to Bedroom 4 with a double bed. Perfect for a couple, two families or groups sharing, where one couple wants to be slightly separate from the rest of the group. The window has views across the fields.
The downstairs bathroom has a white suite comprising a corner bath with hand shower over, a basin with mirror and a generous corner shower. It has a heated towel rail and tiled floor.
The kitchen then leads to the dining room, with sideboard, table, chairs and also a baby grand piano. No excuse to miss piano practise whilst on holiday! There are also numerous books and games, plus a CD/MP3 player. The room is full of character, with original beams, a wood floor that gleams in the sun, and two charming gothic windows. The wooden stairs lead from here to a further three bedrooms.
Walk from here into the lounge, a three-sided room, filled with light, two comfy sofas, two further chairs and a coffee table. There is a 32″ freeview TV and a DVD player. The centrepiece of the room is undoubtedly an open fireplace which guests are welcome to use with care. As it’s a thatched cottage only smokeless fuel can be burned on it to minimise the fire risk (absolutely no wood or paper)
Come out of this room and take the staircase leading to the three interconnecting bedrooms. Bedroom 1 has a single bed with a guest pull out bed, allowing for flexible sleeping arrangements depending on the make up of the party. There is also a cot, a built in wardrobe and bedside table. The window overlooks fields.
There’s a small hallway with more storage leading to Bedroom 2 with a double bed, bedside tables, built in wardrobe and a window overlooking fields.
Through this room to Bedroom 3 with a single bed, bedside table, dressing table and a built in cupboard. This room has a feature window facing the church and benefits from the morning sun. Walk back through the bedrooms to go downstairs.
The mature garden wraps around the cottage. There’s parking for two cars on the driveway with a gate to secure the drive/garden from the road. Walk up the drive and you’ll find yourself in the heart of the garden, surrounded by trees and shrubs, with a large grassed area to enjoy. There is also a suntrap patio and several seating areas.
The borders are a mixture of picket fencing at the front of the small cottage garden, hedging, chestnut paling and wire mesh to the rear and side. Behind the rear hedge there is a field, owner by the neighbours at the Old Rectory, secured by sheep fencing and this area is secure with a gate closing it to the road. Therefore if you bring a dog who likes a challenge, there may be places where they can get out!
So what might you do when staying at Church Cottage? For walkers head straight into the churchyard to the network of footpaths and quiet lanes. You’re not far from The River Ant, Barton Broad or Hickling Broad. Head into the Broads for the day, shop at Roys of Wroxham, take a boat out or enjoy one of the many pubs and cafes around. Cyclists are spoilt for choice with a network of cycling paths to choose from. Take the kids to Bewilderwood, Wroxham barns, or over the border to Pleasurewood Hills in Suffolk. enjoy the city of Norwich or the seafront of Great Yarmouth. There are lots more ideas here of things to do.
What you’ll find at Church Cottage.
- Feature fireplace with coal burning stove
- Welcome basket on arrival
- Free wi-fi
- Central heating by radiators
- Three seater sofa, two seater sofa and two chairs
- 32″ Freeview TV and DVD player
- Dining table and seating for six
- Baby Grand Piano
- CD/MP3 with separate speakers
- Range of games and books
- wooden flooring in the two reception rooms
- Fully Fitted kitchen including
- Electric built in cooker
- Ceramic Hob
- Kettle, Iron, Toaster
- Table with four chairs plus assorted stools
- Karndean flooring
- Full range of pans and utensils
- Plenty of crockery, glasses and cutlery.
- Hallway with coat and shoe storage
- Utility room
- Belfast sink
- Washing Machine
- Tumble Dryer
- Downstairs bathroom
- Corner bath with shower attachment
- Shower cubicle
- toilet and basin
- Wooden staircase from the lounge to:
- Bedroom 1 – single bed and pull out bed leads to:
- Bedroom 2 – double bed leading to:
- Bedroom 3 – single bed
- Stairs from kitchen lead to:
- Bedroom 4 – double bed
- All bedlinen and towels provided
- Dog supplies – bowls, towels, throws, poo bags
- Wraparound mature garden with grass, flower beds and paved patio area
- Outside table and four chairs, bench and picnic bench seating.
- Garden surrounded by mixed hedging and fencing; enclosed but not necessarily secure for dogs.
- Private parking for two cars
Friday is the standard changeover day.
Short breaks available between October to May. Summer short breaks may be possible according to availability nearer the time.
Flexible dates may be available during November to March. Please ask.
Next Availability/Late Deals
Great deals for groups of four or less! 10% off the standard prices for groups of 5 or more
- Friday 30th June 3 nights WAS £618 NOW £450, one week £699
- Monday 3rd July 4 nights WAS £618 NOW £450, one week £699
- Friday 7th July 3 nights WAS £618 NOW £450, one week £699
- Monday 10th July 4 nights WAS £618 NOW £450
- Monday 24th July 4 nights WAS £732, NOW £530
Ready to book? Contact us
- We act as agent for Church Cottage, to manage the booking process. The contract you enter however, is between the guest and the owner.
- Weekend breaks are Friday to Monday (3 nights).Midweek Breaks are Monday to Friday (4 nights).
- Weekly bookings only from June to the end of August. Short breaks may be available, please ask.
- Check in is from 4pm. Check out by 10am.
- A booking form must be filled prior to booking confirmation. A booking deposit of £100 or 25% is required with the balance payable two months prior to your holiday.
- We welcome one or two dogs for just £15 per break. Please bring your dog crate or bed. Please ask if you have more and we will consider your request.
- Christmas/New Year flexible four night short breaks are subject to availability, bookable from approx. eight weeks in advance. One week bookings taken for the festive period all year round.
- £200 security deposit taken for this property with each booking, collected at the same time as the balance.
Catfield & area
More local information to follow